Iraqi police commandos have captured the head of Al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Ayyub Al-Masri, in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul in a midnight raid. Not only is this good news in and of itself, but the implications for the success of U.S. efforts in Iraq are tremendous. First, the Sunni insurgency has been dealt a major blow. Second, the Iraqi police obviously were acting on an intelligence tip, which suggests the extent to which Sunni public support of Al Qaeda in Iraq has slipped. Finally, it demonstrates the increasing competence of the Iraqi military and police forces, and the success of U.S. efforts to train them, since they apparently initiated and executed this project on their own--U.S. authorities had been unaware of the capture of Al-Masri until his capture was announced by Iraqi officials.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Thursday, May 08, 2008
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- 60 Years Young: Happy 60th Birthday, Israel!
- NY Post Links Olmert Scandal to Long Island Financ...
- Will Political Scandal Finally Topple the Olmert G...
- Earth and Dry Bones to Condi
- Those Black-eyed Virgins of Paradise--They're Hot!...
- Goodbye, Red Ken?
- Celebrate Israel's 60th Birthday--Send Pizza or Bu...
- Plutonium on the Euphrates
- Are African American Leaders Ignoring Darfur?
- Ominous Sign: Iran and Sudan Military Treaty
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like