As reported by Jewish Current Issues, this weekend, Operation Gratitude shipped its 200,000th gift package to American troops serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere, each package individually addressed to a specific soldier, with a personally-written letter accompanying each large boxful of items, individually packed by a volunteer. Operation Gratitude was formed in March 2003 by one person -- Carolyn Blashek -- a member of the Los Angeles Jewish congregation Ohr HaTorah, led by Rabbi Mordechai Finley. Rabbi Finley is a Marine veteran, and at the time his son was serving in Iraq with the Marines. Working alone out of her living room, at her own expense, she began sending gift packages to the troops. As you can see from the photo, Ms. Blashek's one-woman project has grown. Read about it in Jewish Current Issues.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- Second Lieutenant Scott Lundell, RIP: A Story Abou...
- Surprising Iraqi Video from MEMRI
- At Least Jimmy Carter is Consistent
- Mitt Romney and Christmas
- Thoughts for the Weekend: The Christmas Spirit
- Gaza is a Gang War!
- Dry Bones On Jim Baker: 2006 and 1992
- All Good Wishes to Senator Tim Johnson
- At Least One Good Thing Came Out of That Lousy War...
- Carter's Maps: Worse Than Plagiarism.
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like