Thursday, September 28, 2006

On Preserving The Purity of Our English Language


Thanks to one of our readers for the following, which she attributes to Jackie Mason:
"There may be those among you who support including Spanish in our national language. I for one am 110% against this! We must preserve the exclusivity and, above all, the purity of the English language.

"To all the shlemiels, shlemazels, nebbishes, nudniks, klutzes, putzes, shlubs, shmoes, shmucks, nogoodniks, and momzers that are out there pushing Spanish, I just want to say that I, for one, believe that English and only English deserves kinguistic prominence in our American culture.

"To tell the truth, it takes me so farklempt, I'm fit to plotz. This whole Spanish schmeer gets me broyges, specially when I hear these erstwhile mavens and luftmenschen kvetching about needing to learn Spanish. What chutzpah! These shmegeges can tout their shlock about the cultural and linguistic diversity of our country, but I, for one, am not buying their shtick. It's all so much dreck, as far as I'm concerned. I exhort you all to be menshen about this and stand up to their fardrayte arguments and meshugganah, farshtunkene assertions. It wouldn't be kosher to do anything else.

"Remember, when all is said and done, we have English and they've got bubkes! The whole myseh is a pain in my tuchas!"
I will leave any further comment regarding the above to the Kosher Hedgehog, who is far more qualified than I in such matters.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Kosher Hedgehog said...

Actually, Jackie Mason is my son-in-law's great uncle; so we're "mishpocha"  (family). Given that kesher (connection), I feel that I am posul (disqualified) from shmoozing (commenting) on Jackie's wort (speech). 

Posted by The Kosher Hedgehog

Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are we going to reject the speech of those -even the elites in the media - who say it is "so fun?"
Just a minor pet peeve. 

Posted by DL

Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Kosher Hedgehog said...

First off, Jackie Mason is not exactly an "elite in the media"; and he has a conservative position on illegal immigration issues, and supports English-only instruction in the public schools. However, since he is a comedian, he is not above making a joke about the issue. I hope that conservatism never requires us to lose our sense of humor.  

Posted by The Kosher Hedgehog

Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Doc Holiday said...

Thank you for making my day! 

Posted by SJ Reidhead

Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:22:00 PM  
Blogger Franko said...

Hahah.... very funny and profound! Jackie Mason holds a mirror up to the stupidity of the type of person who believes in the "purity" of any language.

There is not one language that is static. All languages permit the inclusion of new, foreign or invented words into their dictionaries. 

Posted by Talk Spanish

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home