Monday, June 18, 2007

Today I am a Republican . . .


... or at least I will be one once the registration form I mailed today is received and filed by the Los Angeles County Clerk. After nine years of voting GOP and seven years of donating GOP, I finally took the plunge and changed my party registration. And, yes, the sounds you are hearing are my liberal Jewish Democratic parents rolling in their graves. My heartfelt desire not to disturb their rest is the main reason that I hesitated until now.

But Mom, Dad, please believe me, the Republican Party of today in many ways bears a far closer resemblance to the Democratic Party of Harry Truman and Jack Kennedy, and maybe even of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, than do the current politics and policies of the Democratic Party. It's the Republicans who now stand for a strong national defense; a foreign policy that supports freedom and democracy throughout the world, and realistically recognizes the threat posed by our enemies; equality before the law and equal opportunity, regardless of race, color or creed; free speech; and, yes, unfaltering support for Israel. You always liked George Romney, even though he was a Republican. Well, I think you would like his son, Mitt, as well, and that is who I am backing for the 2008 GOP Presidential nomination. So rest in peace, Mom and Dad, my ideals haven't changed, only my political party registration.

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky Barlow said...

i am a mitt fan also......................................................................my handle is barlowputz.blogspot.com

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:54:00 PM  
Blogger Lowell Brown said...

Bravo, Brother Hedgehog Ralph!!!

Your co-blogger,

Lowell

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:05:00 PM  
Blogger Doc Holiday said...

While I am not a Romney fan, I do want to welcome you home to the GOP. We need good people like you. Congrats!

SJ Reidhead
The Pink Flamingo

Monday, June 25, 2007 1:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home