Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Obama in the Holy Land: "Look at my deeds," which I did not do

Jim Geraghty reports at the Campaign Spot at National Review Online that Senator Barack Obama is following in the footsteps of another Democratic Party messiah figure, Al Gore, in claiming credit for the achievements others. Obama grandiloquently declared in Israel:

"Now, in terms of knowing my commitments, you don't have to just look at my words, you can look at my deeds. Just this past week, we passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee, which is my committee, a bill to call for divestment from Iran, as a way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon."

Well, Senator Obama is not even on the Senate Banking Committee, and he therefore did not vote on the bill in question when it passed through that committee. He has had no role in the passage of that legislation. His campaign has now clarified that what Obama meant is that the bill includes provisions that match legislation he introduced last year. So it was just bad syntax, again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home