A front-page feature story in today's Los Angeles Times describes the surprising support for Rudy Giuliani among conservative Evangelical Christians, despite his liberal positions on social issues such as abortion, gun control and gay rights. Is the Times' article correct? If so, why would a candidate such as Mitt Romney, with strong socially conservative positions, and a life that reflects his pro-family values, lack appeal among Christian conservatives? Do conservative evangelical Christians prefer a lapsed Catholic to a Mormon in good standing? I want to hear the views of Hedgehog readers on this question, and I am sure Lowell will want your views on the Article VI Blog.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Monday, April 23, 2007
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- The Legacy of the Closure of Mental Hospitals
- Article VI Blog Interview: Stan Guthrie of Christ...
- In today's Washington Post, columnist Charles Kra...
- A Roundup of Revulsion to NBC and the Infamous Cho...
- French Rabbi Punched in Anti-Semitic Attack
- "Showing the video is a social catastrophe."
- MSNBC's Utter Irresponsibility
- Senator Obama Compares Virginia Tech Shootings to...
- President Bush Honors Heroic Slain Professor
- For This Day
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like