Saturday, April 14, 2007

The David Alen White/John Mark Reynolds Reading List


I don't think Laer at Cheat-Seeking Missiles (one of my daily reads) would mind if I blatantly steal his work and reproduce here the Hugh Hewitt-prompted David Allen White/John Mark Reynolds list of "the top 30 books that every one of you ought to have read, and certainly freshmen and sophomores ought to have read." My goal is to make this list all the more accessible, so I think Laer will forgive me:

1. Plato’s Republic

2. Homer’s Iliad

3. Dante’s Divine Comedy

4. Cervantes’ Don Quixote

5. Dickens’ David Copperfield

6. Dostoevsky’s Brothers Karamazov

7. Evelyn Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited

8. Odyssey

9. Oedipus Rex

10. Augustine’s Confessions

11. Second Treatise on Government by Locke

12. Virgil’s Aeneid

13. Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address

14. Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address

15. Charles Dickens’ Child’s History of England

16. The Birth of the Modern, Johnson

17. Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States

18. Federalist Papers

19. Democracy In America

20. Wealth of Nations

21. Communist Manifesto by Marx

22. Origin of Species

23. On The Genealogy of Morals

24. Civilization And Its Discontents

25. C.S. Lewis’ Abolition of Man

26. Pensees of Pascal

27. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice

28. Immortal Poems of the English Language

29. Melville’s Moby Dick

30. Essays by Montaigne

31. Canterbury Tales

32. The Prince

33. The Faerie Queene

34. Calvin’s Institutes

35. Chanson de Geste from the Song of Roland

37. Alice In Wonderland

38. Through The Looking Glass

39. King Lear

40. MacBeth

41. Henry V

42. Julius Caesar

43. As You Like It

44. Twelfth Night

45. Henry IV, Part 1

46. Winter’s Tale

47. Tempest

48. Paradise Lost

49. Boethius, the Consolation of Philosophy

50. Cicero on Friendship and on Duties

51. Hobbes’ Leviathan

52. Anna Karenina or War And Peace

53. collected poems of T.S. Eliot

54. Witness by Whittaker Chambers

55. Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor

56. Norman Mailer’s Of A Fire On The Moon

57. Walker Percy’s Lost In The Cosmos

I am too embarrassed to admit how few of these I have read, but I am working on it. I will say that my life goal of reading every one of Charles Dickens' novels may delay my completion of this list, but I have a good 30-40 years left on this old earth to complete the task. It will take some doing!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to Hamlet?

Friday, May 09, 2008 6:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home