Two sisters bravely defied a warning from the Taliban to quit teaching or "face the penalty." The cowardly Islamic terrorists killed the two teachers, their mother, their grandmother, and a male relative. It is to the enduring shame of those who purport to speak for "women's rights," "gay rights" and "academic freedom" that they have remained on the sidelines, largely silent in the face of Islamic extremism that would strip them of the rights, civil liberties and protection they enjoy in Western countries, especially in the United States. Indeed, university academics on American campuses frequently advocate the cause of the enemy. The threat they would face should radical Islam prevail is made clear by this story from the New York Times.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Sunday, December 10, 2006
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- Jeanne Kirkpatrick, R.I.P.
- "Mistakes:" The Iraq War Blame Game
- French Presidential Candidate Agrees with Hezbolla...
- Pearl Harbor - 65 Years Ago Today
- The Iraq Study Group: Some Hard-Headed Analysis
- Quote of The Day
- It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year . . .
- Iranian Coup in Washington, D.C?
- Hurray for Hollyweird
- Why Iran Wants Lebanon
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like