Military strategist Edward N. Luttwak argues convincingly in the Jerusalem Post that pudits and public opinion have both exaggerated the military achievements of Hezbollah and unfairly denigrated the bravery and effectiveness of Arab soldiers in Israel's prior wars. He notes that Hezbollah failed to inflict heavy casualties on either the Israeli military or its civilian population. Indeed, he partially attributes the reluctance of the Israeli government to launch a large-scale troop operation to the fact that the nation had suffered so few civilian casualties despite the thousands of rockets launched by inexperienced and incompetent Hezbollah crews. From a strictly military perspective, he no doubt is correct. On the other hand, from a strictly military perspective, the Tet Offensive was a disaster for the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese. Thanks to Walter Cronkite and public perception, however, it turned the tide of the war.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Monday, August 21, 2006
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- WHY PAUL'S SISTER VOTES GOP
- Hope, Despair, and Islamofascism
- I BID YOU STAND, MEN OF THE WEST!
- An Emerging 2008 Front-Runner for the GOP, If It W...
- Bottled Water Update
- FERMENT AMONG THE DEMOCRATS
- The Latest Terrorist Threat: Sealed Water Bottles...
- Why go to war if you don't intend to fight?
- "Islamic Facists?" Call Them "Islamic Nazis"
- Oslo Replay: Hezbollah Trying to Cheat and Keep A...
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like