Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Anchoress Has A Must-Read On Bush And The Base


The Anchoress has written a gem of a post entitled "The Essential President Bush." I wish every conservative who's unhappy with the president would read it.

You must read it, and I mean must. I'm begging you to do so.

Here's a taste:
A much-esteemed, long-neglected friend sent an email this morning, which was delightful to recieve. At one point he mentioned this post from yesterday and wrote: I think (President Bush) has lost his bearings. but then, so did Moses from time to time, it’s quite
understandable.


That made me wonder a little - has President Bush lost his bearings, or have we? Is it President Bush who has broken faith with “his base” or have they?
She includes these quotes from Ronald Reagan:
When I began entering into the give and take of legislative bargaining in Sacramento, a lot of the most radical conservatives who had supported me during the election didn’t like it.

Compromise was a dirty word to them and they wouldn’t face the fact that we couldn’t get all of what we wanted today. They wanted all or nothing and they wanted it all at once. If you don’t get it all, some said, don’t take anything.

I’d learned while negotiating union contracts that you seldom got everything you asked for. And I agreed with FDR, who said in 1933: "I have no expectations of making a hit every time I come to bat. What I seek is the highest possible batting average."

If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later, and that’s what I told these radical conservatives who never got used to it.

Now, I am sure I have just caused a blood pressure spike for many readers of this blog, and I apologize if I've upset you. You are, after all, my ideological brethren. We differ only as to methods. I ask you: Please, please, read the Anchoress' post. And please consider what Reagan suggests above. Then think once more about how best to achieve conservative goals, and how you plan to vote this fall.

2 Comments:

Blogger Harold said...

At this point, the protestations of the base are falling on deaf ears. The fact is, the President has some legitimate gripes with the base, as I have discussed on my blog .

They trashed one of his closest and most loyal aides this past October. This past February and March, "the base" largely stood by and allowed a solid ally in the war on terror (according to several people that have a lot more knowledge than certain pundits) to get trashed, possibly endangering the war on terror.

The base is due to a wake-up call. 

Posted by Harold C. Hutchison

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Bonjo said...

I don't know that I'm unhappy  with the President. He has done some things that have disappointed me (i.e., dropping Social Security reform like a hot potato despite focusing a great deal of his campaign on that very issue). But I can forgive and move on.

I think my feelings are more summarized with a shrug and one word: "Meh." I'm not unhappy with him, but I'm certainly not overwhelmed. He's far better than anything the left could have offered, for certain.

On many issues I think he's right on target. Unfortunately, this White House does a terrible job of getting the word out. If I can say "Meh", what say those who didn't cast a "convinced vote" for Bush in '04? 

Posted by Bonjo

Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home