Friday, September 02, 2005

Learning from Katrina

Hugh Hewitt offers today a set of ideas on what to do now. I hope they are widely read. It is time for some leadership, and I hope the White House and the GOP provide it.

I have one question about preparedness: What if a terrorist attack had produced the same devastating results as Katrina? The response so far to the hurricane has been far from reassuring-- and in Katrina's case authorities even had advance warning. That won't happen with a large-scale terror attack.

I am not among those who are playing the blame game or criticizing emergency assistance authorities. No one expected Katrina be a disaster of such horrific scope. But I guess that's the point, isn't it? We were unprepared. The intelligent thing to do now is to recognize that fact and be sure that we are better prepared next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home