Saturday, March 31, 2007

For Palm Sunday: G.K. Chesterton's "The Donkey"

The Donkey

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.
With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil's walking parody
On all four-footed things.
The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.
Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

G.K. Chesterton

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to have found a copy of the poem which is accurate - the one on another site was full of errors - the poem seems to have fallen out of favour generally, but still makes an impact.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home