Sunday, February 04, 2007

Global Warming: A View


For some time I have been trying to figure out what I think about global warming. Now Glenn Reynolds has written the most reasonable piece I have seen on the subject. He begins:
"Do I "believe in " global warming? In the sense that the world seems to be warmer now than in recent history, yes. The more apocalyptic scenarios seem to me to remain unproven, but certainly cause for concern.

"Do I believe that global warming is anthropogenic? Not so clear. Plausible, but still far from certain.

"Does this matter? Probably not. Regardless of what you think of the above, burning carbon is a lousy idea. Coal and oil are, over the long term, far more valuable as chemical feedstocks than as fuels anyway, and burning them is unacceptably filthy regardless of greenhouse issues. . . ."
Glenn's entire piece is worth reading, and makes great sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home