Instead of going quietly away, Joe Lieberman has unapologetically returned to his core beliefs, has adhered to pursuit of victory in Iraq, and is leading Ned Lamont by huge margins in his independent campaign for re-election to the U.S. Senate. I have no illusions that Senator Lieberman views himself as anything other than a Democrat, but in today's WSJ.com Opinion Journal, Daniel Henniger speculates that the Democrats may have created their own party's version of Senator John McCain, a maverick who cannot be depended upon to adhere to the party line. If the Democrats are ever to vere back to the middle and start winning national elections, they will have to follow Lieberman's example, even if they refuse to say they're sorry for abandoning him in favor of the candidate of the defeatist left.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Friday, October 20, 2006
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- A Little Pre-Weekend Reading
- The Boston Globe Goes Snipe-Hunting
- IRAN AND HAMAS SIGN MILITARY TRAINING PACTS
- Dear "Stupid Party" Voters: Please Don't Be Stupi...
- Reuters Photographer Stages Rock Throwing Attack
- Jack Quinn And The Democrat Line on Iraq
- BBC Fights to Keep Internal Report on its Middle E...
- How Does the GOP Win Elections?
- A British View of Mitt Romney
- Hamas Smuggles Anti-Aircraft Weapons into Gaza
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like