Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fighting Joe Lieberman

Here's Ralph Kostant's latest:

In the 2000 election, when Joe Lieberman received Democratic nomination for Vice President, I was proud that a fellow religiously observant Jew could rise to the top of his (and my) party’s leadership. Nonetheless, I voted for George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, because it is the top of the ticket that counts, and I did not want to entrust the nation’s security to Al Gore. I guess that makes me a pre-9/11 Bush Democrat. I have never regretted that vote, and I found my choice to re-elect President Bush in 2004 an even easier decision, given my party’s nominee. Indeed, it is precisely because a candidate such as Senator Lieberman, who takes national security seriously, can get so little traction in today’s Democratic Party that I almost surely will continue to vote GOP in all national elections. Alas, it looks like 2006 and 2008 will be no different. Senator Lieberman continues to be a Cassandra in the Democratic Party, mocked and ridiculed when he is not ignored. Hillary is pilloried because, to her credit, she refuses to join the “cut and run” set (unlike her husband). The “Vietnam syndrome” fever swamp mentality of Dean, Feingold, Kerry and Gore continues to hold captive the party of FDR, Harry Truman and JFK.

Let us nonetheless give credit where credit is new. Read “Fighting Joe” Lieberman’s excellent column on Iraq, published today on Opinion Journal Online.

Ralph B. Kostant

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senator Liebermann has consistently shown himself to be, at least in my opinion, one of the few statesmen-gentlemen remaining in American politics. Even though he is one of the founding members of the "Gang of 14" on judicial nominations, I believe his participation (unlike that of some others) to have been grounded in a genuine, good-faith desire to heal some of the acrimony and he has been consistent in that position since. That he is excoriated by those of his own party for his efforts only magnifies the esteem I hold for him, despite my disagreements on some issues. Would that the U.S. Senate were more densely populated with men and women of similar character--and spine. 

Posted by BlueBuffoon

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 4:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home