Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Quote of The Day; And What Do You Think?

"That's my job. I'm a newsman. That's what I try to do, is make news. And you try to avoid news. That's your job."

--CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer, to former president Bill Clinton. Clinton said Blitzer tried to get him to make news by saying the Iraq war was a mistake.

Well, on this one I am on the side of the former president. Is it really a newsman's job to make news? Or to report it? Or am I just hopelessly old-fashioned? Anyway, I actually like Wolf Blitzer and think he's pretty fair. It is somewhat refreshing to see one of the MSM "stars" candidly admit that he is trying to goad a public figure into saying something newsworthy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reporter should report. A journalist should journal. In the good old days it took a publishing magnate like Hearst to "make the news." That should never be allowed, but at least back then reporters and journalist knew their position in society and tried to fulfill it! 

Posted by Mark

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 4:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is he making news or finding news, or, is he finding only the news he wants? Is he reporting a story or creating a story? Is he delivering the news or is he delivering the news he was able to create to fit a self serving message?

This is why anyone dispensing political "news" on TV or radio should disclose whether or not they're reporters or commentators and disclose their political stripes for all the world to see. If they're good and decent people, as Wolf B. is most of the time, I'll watch them despite the liberal flag they may fly. I'm a big boy, (as most of us nuts are who drink this stuff up everyday!), and I can wade through the bias and ommissions. Just don't pretend an agenda isn't steering your reporting! You'll lose me for good. -Wb 

Posted by Wagonboy

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 6:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home