Thursday, August 04, 2005

On Being A Marine In Iraq, And Leaving


The author of Howdy's Blog at work

Thanks to my Blogfather Hugh Hewitt, I saw this post from Howdy's Blog. It's a must-read for those who care about the war and the men and women fighting it. I won't summarize or excerpt it for fear of failing to do it justice.

Howdy's Blog, by the way, is owned by a Marine who has been in Iraq for some time. It is worth a regular visit.

Some ask me why I devote so much time on this blog to posts about soldiers, Marines, and their fellows. The answer is complex, but I can summarize: I've never served, but I feel great admiration, respect, and yes, love for those who have served and do serve. I also have a service-age son who is considering joining the military eventually; that tends to focus a father's thinking. I feel some degree of empathy for those who do have sons standing in harm's way for us. Every time I hear of a soldier dying in Iraq, I think of his or her father and mother and I try to imagine what it must be like to be in their shoes.

That's one reason why I wear a bracelet on my wrist marked "For Those Who Serve."

Anyway, read Howdy's reflections on leaving Iraq for another assignment. It'll make you proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home