Friday, April 15, 2005

Thought for The Week

">Link
I think I understand what motivates many soldier-hating boomers. They never served in the military, and soldiers make them feel guilty. I never served either, and I have felt that way myself. But fairness doesn't require that you be defensive if you never wore your country's uniform, only that you honor those who did. It's amazing how spiritually cleansing a little gratitude can be. If Democrats would only resume being Democrats, the nation would rejoice: Can you imagine Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman failing in gratitude to the nation's soldiers? People where I live feel pity for Sgt. Smith, but this man who lived a warrior and died a hero deserves our comprehension, not our pity; and our profoundest thanks.

David Gelernter in the L.A. Times (where, the Times states, he will now be a regular contributor - bravo!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting... The article does misrepresent a few things. I'd hardly expect a computer science professor have his finger on the pulse of current military opinion however.

Not all troops who have served agree with the Iraq action of course. This is definitely a minority, but their voice is being heard: http://www.traveling-soldier.org/  

Posted by theprisoner6

Thursday, April 21, 2005 5:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home