Saturday, March 19, 2005

Saturday Morning Musings

Link



The End of The Anchorman Era

Dan Henninger writes with wonder and a hint of nostalgia about the old days when "everyone watched" Rather, Brokaw, and Jennings "because the Anchormen made it seem important. Back then, they commandeered events in a way that is no longer possible."

March Madness

What a terrific time of year. My own Utah Utes, led by Player of the Year candidate Andrew Bogut, are headed into the Round of 32 today, hoping for a mild upset over the Oklahoma Sooners. This is the 10th NCAA tournament in 11 years for the Utes, so it's quite a tradition in our house. My sons and I will be gathered around the TV, cheering every basket and agonizing over ever turnover. Despite whatever questions one might raise about college athletics, the NCAA Tournament has become a solid cultural tradition. Most of all, it's a heck of a lot of fun. Go Utes!

Andrew Bogut, soon to be an NBA lottery pick

Some Other Good Reads

In case you missed Charles Krauthammer's piece yesterday, here it is.

And Byron York gives us a preview of the coming judicial confirmation battles.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Utes, indeed. And now that my brackets are suitable only for lining the birdcage, go Pacific, Bucknell, UW-Milwaukee, UAB, and even--despite Howard Dean--Vermont! 

Posted by BlueBuffoon

Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I L L - I N I 

Posted by Matthew Peek

Saturday, March 19, 2005 2:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lowell, I didn't go to O.U. but I was born in Oklahoma. State law requires anyone born in the state to root for the Sooners. It's all us Okies have on a national scale! Go Sooners! Wb 

Posted by Wagonboy

Saturday, March 19, 2005 2:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wagonboy, I understand. I just hope you don't feel too bad about the outcome! ;-) 

Posted by Hedgehog

Saturday, March 19, 2005 3:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home