Tuesday, August 24, 2004

News Media Fawning: Will We Get This During The GOP Convention?

">Link
Jeff Jacoby's column in the Boston Globe (read the whole thing here) quotes some statements by the major news media regarding the Democrat convention a few weeks ago. Read these and then keep them in mind during the GOP convention. Listen hard for anything approaching this level of gushing:

I was standing next to the young speechwriter who worked with Kerry on this
speech. . . . The look on his face: rhapsody throughout. I don't know how this
was perceived at home. But here in the Massachusetts delegation, where I was
standing, it was perceived very well. - ABC's Dan Harris, following John Kerry's speech to the Democratic convention.

People who served with him in Vietnam said, You can't believe what he's
like in battle. He just changes. He gets this look over him. And when I saw him
walking down the aisle tonight on the way into the speech, I said, `Oh yeah,
there's that look.' And I just knew at that point that he's going to nail this,
and he did. I have never seen the man speak so well.- Time magazine's
Joe Klein on CNN.


John Kerry working himself literally into a sweat. Or as my high school
English teacher would prefer, into a high state of perspiration. An almost
literal thunder inside the hall, shaking the Fleet Center in a way that it
seldom shakes, if ever, even during a Celtics basketball playoff game or a
Bruins hockey playoff game. These Democrats, as the speech built, having what
amounted to maybe a three-thousand-gallon attack about every three minutes,
united in a way the Democratic Party has not been for about half a century.- CBS anchor Dan Rather.

For those who doubted John Kerry could pull off a stirring speech,
doubts dispelled. For those who doubted John Kerry could unite a traditionally
fractious party, doubts dispelled.- ABC's Charles Gibson on ``Good
Morning America.''


The personality that Edwards exudes when he comes to these events is
something that's pretty infectious with these delegates. And I talked to one
delegate yesterday who says, `You know, I'm coming to like John Kerry, but I
haven't yet fallen in love with him. But I will tell you this, I have fallen in
love with John Edwards.' It's obvious the charisma out there gets to everybody
here in the Fleet Center.- CBS's John Roberts, after John Edwards
finished his convention speech.
[Note: John Roberts is the
heir apparent to Dan Rather for the anchor job at CBS.]


People talk about John Edwards being the sexiest politician in America. I
think Teresa Heinz may be the sexiest spouse of a national candidate in my
memory. She comes across pretty strong, soulful, tender even, in a way. So I
think she had an effective performance.- Wall Street Journal reporter
John Harwood on CNN.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home