Bret Stephens, writing in the Wall Street Journal, shoots down the shibboleth that "there is no military solution to terrorism." To the contrary, as he demonstrates is happening right now in Sadr City, Sri Lanka and Columbia, "it turns out that the best way to end an insurgency is, quite simply, to beat it."
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Tuesday, June 03, 2008
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- George Bush, Scott McCellan, and Best Friends
- Obama the Gaffe Machine
- Why Men Are Reluctant to Ask for Directions
- Taste the "Daisy:" Patton’s Petal Pushers
- Memorial Day: A Reflection for the Weekend
- Krauthammer on Obama's Foreign Policy Gaffe; The K...
- John McCain on Ellen DeGeneres, Discussing Gay Mar...
- Obama and the Jews: WSJ Column by Bret Stephens
- Obama Speaks to Crowd of 75,000 in Portland; Feeds...
- The Bottom Line on the California Supreme Court Ma...
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like