Neoconservatives in general, and President George W. Bush in particular, are frequently criticized for putting idealism over realism in the conduct of American foreign policy. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, speaking at the 2007 B'nai Brith International Policy Conference yesterday, contrasted the records and accomplishments of the two schools of foreign policy, so-called idealists and so-called realists, since the 1930's. He suggests that we need to rethink who are the true realists.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- More Tall Tales of Headless Bodies From Baghdad
- Condi Turns to Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton for MidE...
- Warming Trend Benefits Greenland
- Worth Watching: "Indoctrinate U"
- Dry Bones on Annapolis Conference: Be Afraid. Be...
- Dennis Prager Takes On Islamofascism at UCSB
- When Democrats Use God Talk
- Syrian Nuke Plant Struck by Israel Resembles North...
- The Tide Has Turned in Iraq, But MSM Will be the L...
- Honoring Our Firefighters
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like