It's back, writes Norman Podheretz in today's WSJ.com Opinion Journal, or perhaps it never left us. When Lowell, the Hedgehog, started this blog, not long after September 11, 2001 began the misnamed War on Terror (it is actually the War against Islamism), he presciently posted the "Thought for the Year," a quote from North Vietnamese General Vo Nguyen Giap, in a 1990 interview with historian Stanley Karnow that has appeared ever since in the left-hand margin of this blog. Read it again now, in light of the Congressional Democrats performance during the testimony of General Petraeus, and ask yourself if anything has changed.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- Breaking News: CNN Overflight of Syria by Israeli...
- Kassam Missile Hits Israeli Army Base; 25-30 Wound...
- BREAKING NEWS: ISRAELI COMMANDOS IN GAZA REPORTED...
- Why Don't They Criticize the Petro-Dollar Lobby?
- Israel Thwarts a Series of Terror Attacks, One fro...
- Frankfurt Rabbi Stabbed by Arabic-Speaking Attacke...
- Fred Thompson Lincolnesque? Not A Chance. (Lowell...
- If You Repeat A Falsehood Often Enough, Does It Be...
- Lincoln and Thompson: The Stealth Candidates
- Just a little reminder of the past, in service of...
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like