Charles Krauthammer, who is much smarter than me and almost everybody that I know, is the latest pundit to opine, in his column in today's Washington Post, that Israel won and Hezbollah lost, both militarily and politically, in the recent Lebanon conflict. At this point, my friend Yossi's chances for winning his lunch bet with me, regarding the disarming of Hezbollah, are looking better. [See "Truce or Consequences," The Hedghog Blog, August 13, 2006.] As I have said from the beginning, this is a bet that I would be delighted to lose. On the other hand, I do not need to retract my criticisms of Ehud Olmert and my calls for his resignation, since even Mr. Krauthammer calls his wartime leadership "inept and indecisive." I can live with that.
Political and social observations from two aspiring hedgehogs who love the Isaiah Berlin essay.
Friday, September 01, 2006
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." --ArchilochusWhat Do We Mean by "Hedgehog," Anyway?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770.
- PLAMEGATE: The Washington Post Recants
- Keith Olbermann Thinks We Have Modern-Day Neville ...
- Aussie Foreign Minister Attacks MSM
- THE ISRAELI SOLDIERS' PROTEST CONTINUES
- SIGN OF THE TIMES: Jewish Girl Beaten Unconscious ...
- AN INCONVENIENT SCIENTIST
- OLMERT DECIDES TO INVESTIGATE HIMSELF!
- History The Iranian Mullahs' Way
- Olmert Identified the Problem and Solved It
- Thought for The Week
- CALLED AS SEEN
- Sixteen Small Stones
- Protein Wisdom
- Alamo Nation
- The Anchoress
- President Aristotle
- GM's Corner
- Sons of The Republic
- Cheat Seeking Missiles
- RealClearPolitics (check this one every morning!)
- Los Angeles Times (my hopelessly wayward lefty home town paper)
- New York Times (because you need to know what they're up to)
- Opinion Journal (WSJ)
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
- Weekly Standard!
INTERESTING BLOGS YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN YET
FUN, WHIMSY, AND LITERATURE (along with offbeat opinions)
MILITARY AND FOREIGN POLICY BLOGS (uncensored, unfiltered)
What a real hedgehog looks like