Friday, June 02, 2006

Visit Article6blog


This is a shameless plug for Article6blog, another blog I work on with John Schroeder of Blogotional. John's an evangelical Christian and I am a Mormon (member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). After a serendipitous joint appearance by both John and me on Hugh Hewitt's radio show, Hugh urged us to start a blog on presidential politics and religion. The current focus is on whether Mitt Romney's Mormon religion should be a factor in Christian voters' minds. The discussion is interesting, combining our two very different perspectives on religion and our very similar perspectives on politics, and we have set up a message board for comments and debate on the issues. Please take a look at the Article6blog here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMHO Romney's Mormon faith won't amount to a hill of beans in the negative column, and I'm speaking as a member of a Bible Baptist church who has been reading the Book of Mormon without being favorably impressed by it ('Course I didn't think that much of the Apocrypha either). Though I don't accept it as either divinely inspired or accurate history, I've come across nothing that would make me wonder WTH is wrong with someone who did; frankly, I think there are some modern English translations of the Bible floating around out there that are a LOT more dangerous.

The point is that Romney (or any other Mormon) will face no greater (and probably lesser) a problem than JFK faced and presumably has a similar out -- repeating as often as necessary that he won't be taking "orders" from anybody EXCEPT the American People.

I frankly think that Podhoeretz' theory about this is bunk. The nation is quite ready for a Mormon president (or a Jewish president for that matter) as soon as the Republicans get around to nominating one. It is the DEMOCRATS who seem unable to win (or even come close to winning) the presidency in modern times without nominating southern white male Christians who can plausibly fool people into thinking they are conservative. 

Posted by FredTownWard

Friday, June 02, 2006 4:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will be some bigots who will vote anti-Mormon and most liberals will have difficulty voting in any strongly religious person. The issue is that once a candidate shows evidence of having and supporting "basic family values" - Judeo-Christian morality, then the decision rests with his or her track record, perceived ability, and integrity. I don't see a Romney vote for myself, though certainly McCain and Gulianni don't past the tests I outlined -save for ability. I remind myself that Mussolini made the trains run on time, but brought great sorrow and pain to his country.  

Posted by DL

Saturday, June 03, 2006 4:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home