Thursday, October 27, 2005

In Which I Write to Kathryn Jean Lopez of National Review Online



I've decided it's interesting to write to conservative pundits to see if they'll respond. So far Laura Ingraham hasn't responded to my e-mail posted below, but then again she may not be interested; her screeners have never let me on her show when I've said I wanted to disagree with her. )If you've ever listened to her show you probably know how she treats callers who do get through and try to disagree with her.)

My latest effort is this e-mail to Kathryn Jean Lopez of National Review Online. Ms. Lopez has always struck me as a class act; she has none of the hard edge an Ingraham or a Coulter has.

____________

Dear Ms. Lopez:

I hope this e-mail is more rational and calm than many you seem to have been getting.

I'm a blogger and a occasional "talker" on Hugh Hewitt's show. I was also in the "I'm not thrilled about Harriet Miers but let's allow her a hearing" camp. On my blog (called The Hedgehog Blog) I have been commenting on the conservative opposition to Miers, which has disappointed me greatly. I'm looking forward to the president's next choice, but what bothers me most right now is the almost complete lack of self-examination by your side of this argument. No one seems willing even to consider conceding that "Well, yes, maybe some of us did get a little carried away once or twice." I don't see that sentiment anywhere on The Corner or in talk radio. (Maybe everyone's too busy breaking out the cigars and champaigne.)

I sent this e-mail today to your fellow anti-Miers pundit Laura Ingraham and posted it on my blog today:

______________________________________
[I simply quote here the e-mail from my post below.]
______________________________________

If Laura responds I'll post that on my blog too-- at http://www.hedgehogcentral.blogspot.com.

Now, I don't mean to pick on Laura, but she was one of the more strident anti-Miers voices. If you check my blog you'll see a number of commenters who calmly and reasonably express their disappointment in Laura and others in her same camp. Meanwhile, many on your side seem to blame Bush: All the excesses were his fault, they suggest, for making the Miers nomination, which pitted conservatives against one another. That seems quite lame to me. No one forced the conservatives against Miers to go so far and so often over the top in opposing her. I think it would help us if there could be some recognition of those excesses by the folks at The Corner.

Just a thought from a small blogger and loyal conservative.

Lowell Brown
Los Angeles

____________

As always, I will post any response I get.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

If you are looking for any accountability on the part of those who opposed Miers, forget about it.

They are blaming this whole mess on Bush for nominating Miers in the first place and falsely claim that they speak for "the base."

Well, I'm not sure which "base" they speak for, but the vast majority of persons who voted for Bush continued to support Miers.

But the Barabas conservatives shouted louder.

A few more thoughts from my post on the subject:

*In the Miers debacle Republicans have turned the old rallying cry: "Give them an up or down vote"upside down.

*Republicans in the Senate have overturned the principle of protecting Executive Branch documents.

*After witnessing this latest episode can we know expect our GOP Senators to grow a spine and defend an even more controversial nominee?

*Chris Matthews summed it up this way: "Bush is lame duck with broken right wing." 

Posted by Mike's America

Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone else finally noticed that Ms Ingraham with her combination nearly unlimited major market radio time and legal background - basically became the de facto leader of the witch hunt

Your posts on Laura Ingraham have been very accurate. I often jog at night (when her show is on in our area) and have managed to listen to her show most nights for the last few years. I've enjoyed her clever and amusing use of audio clips, where she has done a great job in many entertaining pieces in recent years

However, in the past 3.5 weeks her behaviour has been appalling w/o even the hint of balance or context in her repeated trashings of Ms Miers. Tonight while proclaiming she would not gloat about Mier's "withdrawal" -she then spent the next 3 hours doing precisely that, and basically continued to threaten President Bush with political obliteration if his new choice doesn't meet NRO's litmus testsĀ 

Posted by Rob

Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Lowell Brown said...

Rob: Thanks for your comment. Over the last several months I have decided that Laura Ingraham is the conservative talk show host whose company I would least enjoy at dinner. I'll just leave it at that. 

Posted by The Hedgehog

Friday, October 28, 2005 5:04:00 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Thanks for fighting the good fight, Hedgehog. I'm very disappointed in some (not all) of the anti-Miers people and their tactics, including Laura, the folks at the Corner and George Will. All of them have lost a little credibility as makers of arguments of principle, not politics. Let's hope that their confidence in the Senate's ability to get a "proven conservative" confirmed is correct. 

Posted by Brainster

Friday, October 28, 2005 8:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home